Sunday, December 30, 2007

New Trap for a New Rule

I saw a new one yesterday. In Ontario there's a new speeding law which says that if you're doing 50 over the limit there's an immediate vehicle seizure and a $10,000 maximum fine. So I was driving along the 407 and I saw a cop hiding off to side so everyone slowed down and after we passed him there were 5 tow trucks lined up just waiting for him to bag 50+'ers and tow them away. That's taking this to a whole new level.

Personally I think the law is dumb. I concentrate more the faster I go. I'm going to pay more attention at 150 than at 120. I think it should be a caveat based on the weather. If it's shitty out then 150 is ludicrous but otherwise, as long as you're leaving lots of space it's not all that dangerous if you know what you're doing and not weaving and getting close. At the same time, if you don't know what you're doing to begin with or you're sleepy or something you shouldn't be going those speeds anyway.

No comments: